Re: [Linux-ia64] status of debugging ia32 executables on ia64

From: Don Dugger <n0ano_at_valinux.com>
Date: 2001-01-16 06:57:01
Jose-

I've found all of my IA32 problems with one of two tools.

1)  `strace'.  The IA64 version will also trace an IA32 program
so you can just use it as you normally would.  Most failures these
days are from bad system calls that should be identified by this tool.

2)  The IA32 version of `gdb' should work.  If `gdb' from a generic
IA32 system doesn't work let me know, I've got a version that I've
created that I know works.

Check your system log to make sure there aren't any funny messages.  If
you program makes a call we haven't implemented yet a message will be
printed to the console.

Also, are you running the EFI `wkaround' program before you boot your
kernel?  There are still some CPU erratas that affect IA32 execute that
are solved by this program.