Re: [Linux-ia64] Recommended compiler for compiling kernels test10 and upper?

From: Jim Wilson <wilson_at_cygnus.com>
Date: 2000-11-14 10:01:56
>I'm trying to build the 2.4.0-test10 kernel with the ia64 patch.  We
>recently upgaded the hardware on one of our boxes to B1 stepping, and
>now it won't boot.  I'm hoping the newer kernel will work better.

The Red Hat August Linux OS release won't boot on a B1.  This was due to a
misapplied kernel patch, and was fixed immediately after the problem was
discovered, which was unfortunately a couple of days after the OS release.

There is a kernel update available from Red Hat that fixes this, but it is
a little tricky to install the kernel update if the machine doesn't boot.
Since you presumably still have A step machines, you should be able to install
the kernel update on an Ax machine, and then move a hard disk over to the B1
machine, and then it should boot.
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/ia64/updates/RPMS

Or you could try one of the other OS releases.  I believe the latest Suse OS
release is OK.  I'm not sure about TurboLinux.  The next Red Hat Linux OS
release will be OK, but it isn't available yet, and I don't know exactly when
it will be available.

Jim