Re: [Linux-ia64] Recommended compiler for compiling kernels test10 and upper?

From: Scott Hankin <shankin_at_rational.com>
Date: 2000-11-14 09:44:50
>  >I tried building glibc 2.2 (just released today on freshmeat.com) but
>>when building with the original compiler (Red Hat August release) I had
>
>I assume you mean the Red Hat August Linux OS release.  Red Hat isn't just a
>linux company anymore.  There were also compiler releases in August.  The
>August OS release uses the February compiler, which is obsolete, and probably
>won't compile any recent linux kernels.  Use the new compiler, which reports
>itself as "2.96-ia64-000717 snap 001024".

OK - that's what my latest build reports, so I'm fine there.

>  >  The latest snapshot seems to define these, but crash
>>a lot.  Is there something in the middle you'd recommend?
>
>Unreproducible crashes are due to hardware, firmware, and/or kernel problems.
>This is not a compiler problem.  If you have an A-step or B0-step machine,
>then you need to use the -ma-step option to workaround around hardware
>problems.  If you have a B2-step machine, then you need a firmware version
>that Intel hasn't released yet, but will hopefully release soon.  There are
>also other possible, though less common, explanations for this problem.
>
>If you are seeing reproducible compiler problems, then I'd like to hear about
>them.
>
>Jim

No, I suspect you are right, as the fix that usually works is to retry
the make, which usually goes much further before dying.  The crashes are
never reproducible.  While I've been told the upgrade is B1 stepping, I
have no idea what the existing hardware is.  I've scanned the logs - how
do you tell?

- Scott

Scott Hankin                  In the beginning, there was nothing, then
Rational Software             God said, "Let there be light."  And there
20 Maguire Road               was light.  There was still nothing, but
Lexington, MA 02421           you could see it a lot better.