Re: [Linux-ia64] Recommended compiler for compiling kernels test10 and upper?

From: Scott Hankin <shankin_at_rational.com>
Date: 2000-11-14 09:00:44
>I was able to build this toolchain (the lack of pre-existing g++ stuff
>on my IA64 machine was a small problem but I ignored it for the time
>being).  I installed it into a /usr/gcc1024 hierarchy so as not to
>clobber my existing gcc (since I'm not yet moving to glibc 2.2 on
>that machine).

Which toolchain are you building?

>Then I could build the kernel (on a Red Hat Linux release 6.93 (Zoot))
>release, cut sometime in June, I believe.
>
>Then, I built the kernel with:
>
>HOSTCC=/usr/bin/gcc CC=/usr/gcc1024/bin/gcc make HOSTCC=/usr/bin/gcc
>CC=/usr/gcc1024/bin/gcc -j 20 > ERRS 2>&1 &
>
>Which seems to work reasonably well.  This allows the cross tools to
>build with the native CC (glibc 2.1 based) and the kernel to build
>with a recent compiler, which does not care a whit about glibc
>support.
>
>The native toolchain on that Red Hat distro does not have unwind
>support, impylying no stack tracebacks in panics, kdb, etc.  The newer
>gcc works fine, compiles completely, and has wonderful stack
>tracebacks.
>
>All this on a 4-proc Lion, running A3 procs and an ancient BIOS/frame
>(my B2/B3 upgrade has been deferred for a while).

I'm trying to build the 2.4.0-test10 kernel with the ia64 patch.  We
recently upgaded the hardware on one of our boxes to B1 stepping, and
now it won't boot.  I'm hoping the newer kernel will work better.

So far, I'm running into problems with the old Red Hat toolchain, and
with the latest snapshot as well.  I haven't hit on the right compiler
yet, I guess.

Has anyone successfully built 2.4.0-test10 with the IA64 patch?  If so,
which toolchain did you use?

- Scott

Scott Hankin                  In the beginning, there was nothing, then
Rational Software             God said, "Let there be light."  And there
20 Maguire Road               was light.  There was still nothing, but
Lexington, MA 02421           you could see it a lot better.