Re: [Linux-ia64] static registers during a context switch

From: Don Dugger <n0ano_at_valinux.com>
Date: 2000-10-26 01:28:06
If you are thinking of a context switch in the sense of switching
from one process to another then ALL registers, static and stacked,
are saved and restored.  If you are talking about making a subroutine
call then the uses of the static registers are covered by software
convention and registers R4-R7 are preserved across a function call.

Conceptually the static registers are similar to the X86 registers
EAX, EBX and so on.  These registers are also saved and restored
across context switches and have software conventions that control
which ones are saved across subroutine calls.

--
Don Dugger
n0ano@valinux.com