Re: [Linux-ia64] static registers during a context switch

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_nlsystems.com>
Date: 2000-10-25 21:16:59
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, riedel wrote:

> hi everybody, does anybody know what happens to static registers
> (gr0-gr31) in case of a context switch. in the manual, it says static
> registers are visible to all procedures(i guess it shouldn't otherwise
> on a context switch another process would have the same static
> registers) On the other hand, stacked registers are local to
> procedures and saved and restored by RSE which makes sense to me.

Normally on a context switch, only the callee saved registers are
preserved (since the context switch appears as a function call to the
process which initiates it). In the case of ia64, this means that gr4-gr7
are preserved from the static register set.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160