RE: [Linux-ia64] Multimedia Instructions

From: Saxena, Sunil <sunil.saxena_at_intel.com>
Date: 2000-10-24 01:47:22
Hi Dave,

Here is the answer I got from the architecture team.

Thanks
Sunil

I dont' know about a mailing list, but Sathya should know if
there is anything official.

     > 2. Does anyone know if the 10 clock cycle penalty for a
     > multimedia
     > instruction result used in a different instruction type
     > is just a quirk of
     > the Itanium Chip or will this most likely be carried
     > into future IA-64
     > Chipsets? If this penalty is likely to disappear in
     > future versions, I don't
     > mind coding it for a hit now.
This penalty is likely to be Itanium specific and hopefully will
NOT be present on future products.  However, I would still consider
the stops as those 10 cycle penalties can *really* hurt if they
are in a warm to hot region of code.