Re: [Linux-ia64] Instruction Execution

From: Francis Galiegue <fg_at_mandrakesoft.com>
Date: 2000-10-18 04:17:30
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Mattox, Dave wrote:

> I ran a loop 666,000,000 times and it appears that each bundle is taking 3
> seconds to execute. So this means 3 cycles per bundle,
> or 1 cycle per instruction. Is the Lion SDV Machine executing instructions
> serially? If it is, is it Linux setting this, or are the beta chips disabled
> in some manner?

ia64 does not do instruction reordering, at least this is what I've heard, and
nothing which I have read until now seems to deny this. All insn ordering for
faster execution should therefore be done by the compiler.

No URL to give you, sorry...

--
Francis Galiegue, fg@mandrakesoft.com
"Programming is a race between programmers, who try and make more and more