Re: [Linux-ia64] clock stops on test9

From: Einar Saltnes <eisa_at_scali.no>
Date: 2000-10-18 01:25:51
David Mosberger wrote:

>   Einar> However, there are some problems with the system clock. The
>   Einar> BIOS clock seems to run OK, but in linux the clock seems to
>   Einar> stop after some random time. When using "date", time stands
>   Einar> still after some random time! This gives me some trouble
>   Einar> using other utilities e.g. ping and even shutdown.  This
>   Einar> shows only on the dual B1-stepping box and not the UP
>   Einar> A2-stepping box. It can run OK for a few minutes or for some
>   Einar> hours.  Anyone got a clue?
>
> Doesn't sound familiar.  It's very unlikely to be a hardware problem
> because the kernel's timer tick runs off the CPU cycle counter.  Where
> did you get the test9 kernel from and what version of the toolchain
> was used to compile it?

Source tarball was downloaded from ftp.kernel.org. The ia64 patch was
downloaded from the same site. Kernel was compiled in the RedHat
Developers Distribution of 0825 environment with a test9 kernel.
Toolchain version is

: eisa@scali9-12:eisa; rpm -qi gnupro
Name        : gnupro                       Relocations: /usr
Version     : 0501                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Thu 01 Jun 2000
12:45:11 AM MEST
Install date: Tue 17 Oct 2000 02:10:41 PM MEST      Build Host:
boris.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM:
gnupro-0501-2.src.rpm

: eisa@scali9-12:eisa; gcc -v
Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/ia64-redhat-linux/2.9-ia64-000216-final/specs
gcc version 2.9-ia64-000216-final

: eisa@scali9-12:eisa; rpm -qi glibc
Name        : glibc                        Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 2.1.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 0.0622.3                      Build Date: Sat 19 Aug 2000
11:55:26 PM MEST
Install date: Tue 03 Oct 2000 05:51:18 PM MEST      Build Host:
boris.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
glibc-ia64-2.1.3-0.0622.3.src.rpm

I see in my config file that I have enabled both the BSTEP_- and the
B0STEP_SPECIFIC settings. As you point out only BSTEP_ should be
enabled.

----------

OK, I have compiled a new kernel with only BSTEP_ enabled. Same story.
Using "date" I observe that time stops approx 20 minutes after boot of
the new kernel.
However, "cat /proc/efirtc" seems to show correct numbers. BTW, is this
the output of the HWclock? Is this the same source as "date" gets its
numbers from?

Thanks!

Einar
--
| Einar Saltnes          |         Scali AS         |
| mailto:eisa_at_scali.no   |   http://www.scali.com   |