Re: [Linux-ia64] avoiding float underflow software assist

From: Pete Wyckoff <pw_at_osc.edu>
Date: 2000-10-12 10:10:38
jes@linuxcare.com said:
> Pete> Gcc and glibc seem only to care about st0.  The "minimal" fix,
> Pete> which relies on glibc and exercises its fe*env functions, is:
>
> We discussed this recently and David strongly opted for glibc setting
> s2/s3 the same way we set s0. I need to look closer at this in order
> to figure out how to deal with the get-then-set case but I think it's
> coming.

There's this method of masking just the control bits of sf0 into sf* if
you'd rather not provide direct library access to the fpsr.  E.g., to
set ftz in s0:

    asm volatile("fsetc.s0 0x7f, 0x01");

Or dup s0 into s2:

    asm volatile("fsetc.s2 0x7f, 0x00");

Not sure if/why intel gave us this instruction.  Perhaps switching speed
is important to some apps.

		-- Pete