Re: [Linux-ia64] More on B1 BigSur and test8 kernel

From: H . J . Lu <hjl_at_valinux.com>
Date: 2000-09-11 10:04:40
On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 12:30:01PM -0700, David Mosberger wrote:

>   HJ> compiled on my BigSur with 0825 RedHat ia64 running TurboLinux
>   HJ> 0828 kernel. I get         ^^^^
>
> That is your problem.  The new toolchain is not ready for the
> compiler.  I stopped tracking the lastest patches and decided to wait
> for a new snapshot.  If you build the kernel with the new toolchain,
> you're on your own.

I got the similar results with the 20000501 toolchain come with the
0825 RedHat ia64 beta distribution. I don't think it is a purely
compiler issue since the same kernel, which works on A2 stepping,
failed to boot on B1 stepping. I suspect some interaction between
the ACPI stuff and the interrupts. It seems on B1 stepping, the
kernel will get interrupts very early on in the ACPI code.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)