Re: [Linux-ia64] IP-relative calls in start.S and initfini.c

From: Omar Stradella <omar_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2000-05-03 08:20:28
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Jim Wilson wrote:

> There is an optional patch in the list archives that adds support to the
> linker for handling out of range calls.  At the moment, it requires that the
> user manually specify -Wl,-relax.  You might try using that option to see if
> your toolchain already has the patch applied.  If not, then you can patch
> your toolchain, rebuild it, and this problem should go away.
>
> Eventually we will have better support for large programs.  That may include
> changing some of the start up code to avoid some of the problems that you are
> seeing.

Jim,

Thanks, that seems to work. Except that the kernel that I'm running
(2.3.99-pre5-000424-17) doesn't seem to support the brl instruction yet.

Omar.
Omar G. Stradella, Ph.D.
SGI / Chemistry and Biology Applications Group
1 Cabot Rd, Suite 250, Hudson, MA 01749, USA    N 42 22'40" W 71 33'44"
E-mail: omar@sgi.com        Phone: +1-781-839-2258 FAX: +1-978-562-7450
http://www.sgi.com/chembio                  http://reality.sgi.com/omar
+--------  Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn  -------+