[Linux-ia64] CD intructions.

From: Tim Riker <TimR_at_CalderaSystems.com>
Date: 2000-02-19 17:35:30
The CD David put together needs a doc update. Could we put something up
on the web site? Here's a short howto:

Boot your system with the cd in the drive. At the EFI prompt type (note
that "rescue" is missing from the docs:

eli vmlinux root=/dev/hda rescue

Log in as root (no password) and fdisk your drive:

fdisk /dev/sda

create a dos (fat16) partition (/dev/sda1) for later use by EFI
create an ext2 filesystem for your root (/dev/sda2)
create a swap partition (/dev/sda4)
and format them:

mke2fs /dev/sda2
mkdosfs /dev/sda1
mkswap /dev/sda4

Now mount them using an existing directory and copy over the cd

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/cdrom
cd /
cp -a README.IA-64 bin boot dev etc etc.simple home \
 lib log root sbin tmp usr var /mnt/cdrom
umount /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom/
cp /boot/* /mnt/cdrom/
umount /mnt/cdrom

Now you should be ready to reboot off the hard drive. Take the CD out
and reboot. The from the EFI prompt type:

eli vmlinux root=/dev/sda2

I have not tested these exact procedures, but I will. I promised someone
at the show I'd write this up. Hope it helps. ;-)

Now could someone (Mike?) write up a simple procedure for the
development CD? Also Mike mentioned there were native ia64 toolchain
binaries around? Anyone know where these are?
--
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - short SIGs! <g>
All I need to know I could have learned in Kindergarten